Wednesday 22 September 2010

my home town (1)

I grew up in the Royal London Borough of Kingston upon Thames, Surrey. It is one of only 2 Royal London Boroughs, the other being Kensington & Chelsea. In 2012, Greenwich will become the third Royal London Borough.

The town was named for the King's Stone, where seven saxon kings were crowned. One of them was King Athelstan, after whom my primary school was named.

The toppled phone boxes, officially titled "out of order" was created in 1988 and has become the popular symbol of Kingston, being used as such on the London 2012 Olympic pin for the borough.


2 comments:

  1. In 2012, Greenwich will become the third Royal London Borough.

    why??? and what difference does being a royal borough make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had NO idea, so I checked on wikipedia....

    "To mark the Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II, in 2012 Greenwich is to become the fourth Royal Borough, due to its historic links with the Royal Family, and its status as home of the Prime Meridian and as a UNESCO World Heritage Site."

    It is the third Royal LONDON Borough. The other Royal Borough, outside London, is Windsor & Maidenhead. Presumably as it includes Windsor Castle....

    I have no idea what the benefits are - I never bumped into a Royal in the local supermarket!!

    ReplyDelete